Is it Safe for Staff to Tackle Mold Removal in a Veterinary Office?
Centereach Veterinarians Keen to Save on Mold Removal Costs
Mold is an ever-present reality for business owners in the Centereach area. It is not uncommon to spot a tell-tale patch of black, green, or brown fungus growing in a dark, damp corner of the premises.
Suppose you need mold removal in your Centereach veterinarian office. In that case, it is natural to respond by grabbing some gloves, a scrubbing brush, and whatever cleaning products you usually use in your business. However, please do not do this – you could make the infestation worse in the long run.
Why are everyday cleaning products a terrible choice for mold removal
To understand why professional remediation is the best way to go, we must first understand how mold grows. Mold is a parasite that feeds by eating the material it is growing on. To do this, it needs a food source, oxygen, darkness, and moisture.
Mold can grow on many surfaces in your office, including:
- Paper products such as office records, vaccination records, and wallpaper
- Textiles such as pet beds, mats, and examination table covers
- Natural surfaces such as wood
Most commercial cleaners contain water. If you spray those cleaners onto the mold, the water can penetrate the surface and encourage further fungal growth. Even if you wipe the surface clean, the mold can start propagating again due to moisture.
What does SERVPRO do to remove mold?
It is not possible to remove mold altogether because it is naturally occurring and can re-enter your business at any time. However, we can take steps to contain the current outbreak and discourage the fungus from regrowing:
- We use HEPA vacuuming, dry brushing, and wet wiping to remove existing mold growth
- We position air movers and dehumidifiers around the area to decrease moisture and humidity, thus starving mold of the water it needs
- We apply microbial treatments to kill off mold and make it less likely to come back
- Set up containment barriers to protect the animals and people from spores and dust
If you notice mold in your veterinary office, do not delay. Call SERVPRO as soon as you can – We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster. The more quickly we can tackle the mold, the less chance it will spread throughout your premises and cause further damage.
For help with mold removal, call SERVPRO of Centereach, Selden at (631) 468-3003.